HOW TO MAKE FLOWERS IN RAG ART
1. Select some favourite colours of material depending on the type of flower and its decorative purpose. It can be used for a hair band, brooch or for display.
2. Make petals by cutting the strips to the shape shown below.
3. You can fold a normal strip of material in half lengthways and then cut around the edges and in the middle as shown. It does not matter if the petal strips are not exactly the same as this will add interest and variation to your flower design:
5. Draw a circle on a piece of hessian about 7 cm diameter and another circle about 3 cm diameter in the centre of the first. Prod the petals through the inner circle of the hessian.
6. Cut around the outer circle of the hessian to cut out the flower. Make a backing for the flower by cutting out a similar shape of any suitable material you have available. Stick together with non-toxic craft glue.
7. Attach the Rag Art flower to different types of hair bands, as shown below.
8. Experiment with different colours and try to make individual flowers. The poppy-type design below could be used as a brooch.