The Hulton Crafts Guide:
- Always have the necessary utensils and ingredients ready before beginning to bake.
- Line any tins carefully – cut a single or double piece of greaseproof paper to fit the bottom of the tin.
- Prepare the oven at the correct temperature.
- Measure accurately.
- Cream butter or margarine and sugar thoroughly using a wooden spoon or fork until light and fluffy.
- Make sure the proper consistency is obtained.
- Break eggs separately into a cup in case one happens to be bad to avoid spoiling the whole mixture.
- Test if a cake is baked by running a small knife or skewer into the middle – if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Another method of testing is to touch the surface lightly and if it seems firm to the touch, the cake is done. If the impression of your finger remains, the cake is not ready.
- Always allow the cake to cool on a rack where there is circulation of air. If laid on a solid board, the cake will become damp underneath.