What’s special about this cake?
Almonds are naturally high in protein and rich in brain-boosting essential fatty acids.
They are high in calcium, which helps the body build strong bones and teeth.
This recipe makes a rich cake and can be used for special occasions using Gluten Free chocolate and whipped coconut cream in stage 6. An alternative would be to omit this last stage 6, which would give a suitable recipe for light, fluffy muffins.
Ingredients Serves 12
200 g soft brown sugar
300 g plain chocolate (gluten free)
4 medium eggs
200 g ground almonds
100 g milk chocolate
100 ml whipping cream
- Melt the butter and sugar very gently together in a large saucepan.
- Turn off the heat, stir in 200 g plain chocolate, stir until fully melted.
- Stir in the lightly whisked eggs.
- Stir in the ground almonds.
- Put the mixture in a lined 20cm diameter round cake tin and bake for 50 minutes at 180C
- When the cake is cool, melt together 100 g plain chocolate and 100 g milk chocolate. Then stir in the cream, spread this over the top and sides of the cake.
Alternative s to dairy, egg and sugar:
Dairy free Sunflower spread or Dairy free Soya spread
Date syrup or honey to taste
Egg alternative ideas:
1 tbsp ground flaxseed soaked in 3 tbsp water or ¼ cup pureed fruit (per egg)
Use plain GF chocolate to replace milk chocolate
Whipped coconut cream to replace whipping cream